- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) full-fat coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread the chopped oyster mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are browned and slightly crispy.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper (if using), and stir well to combine. Cook for another minute or two until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes (with their juices) to the saucepan, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Add the roasted oyster mushrooms to the saucepan, and stir well to combine. Pour in the can of coconut milk, and stir again to combine.
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Season the tikka masala with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the tikka masala over rice, garnished with fresh cilantro.
Enjoy your delicious and creamy Vegan Tikka Masala with oyster mushrooms!