- 1 pound chestnut mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add this mixture to the saucepan and whisk until the mixture has thickened to a glaze-like consistency. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat your grill or broiler to high heat.
- Thread the chestnut mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions onto the wooden skewers, alternating the vegetables and mushrooms.
- Brush the skewers with the teriyaki glaze, making sure to coat all sides.
- Grill or broil the skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with additional glaze as desired.
- Serve the skewers hot, garnished with sesame seeds and chopped green onions, if desired.
These Teriyaki Chestnut Mushroom Skewers with Vegetables are a delicious and healthy meal that’s perfect for a summer barbecue or a weeknight dinner. The chestnut mushrooms add a savory and meaty flavor to the skewers, while the colorful vegetables provide a pop of freshness and crunch. Enjoy!