- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (such as almond or soy milk)
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sliced shiitake mushrooms and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their liquid and become tender.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and water and add the dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, carefully transfer the soup in batches to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the unsweetened plant-based milk and let the soup heat through for another few minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
This Shiitake Mushroom Soup is a warm and comforting dish that highlights the rich and savory flavor of shiitake mushrooms. Enjoy it as a cozy meal on a chilly day!