These bivalve-looking beauties belong to the pleurotus genus and can be found growing in clusters on dead and decaying hardwood in the Spring and Autumn.

Now, if you’re just starting out in the world of mushroom cultivation, the blue oyster mushroom is a great option. But, it’s important to note that they require high humidity and fresh air to get those primordia forming.

But trust me, it’s worth the effort! These mushrooms start off as deep, midnight blue pins and grow into large, pale blue-grey caps that are thick and meaty. And get this – if you give them some indirect sunlight, their caps can even develop more vibrant colors!

In The Kitchen

When it comes to flavor, blue oyster mushrooms have a mild, slightly sweet taste with a chewy texture. They are versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes, from stir-fries and soups to salads and pastas. These mushrooms are also a great source of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins, making them a healthy addition to any meal.

One of the best things about blue oyster mushrooms is that they are easy to cook with. All you need to do is sauté them in some butter or olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. You can also add them to a sauce or gravy to give it a rich, savory flavor. Blue oyster mushrooms are great for adding a pop of color and flavor to any dish.

In addition to their delicious taste and beautiful appearance, blue oyster mushrooms are also known for their health benefits. They are low in calories and high in antioxidants, which help to protect your body from free radicals. They are also a good source of vitamin D, which is essential for strong bones and a healthy immune system.


As the mushrooms grow, they will begin to form clusters of blue-gray caps, which is when they are ready to be harvested. Simply cut them off at the base and use them in your favorite recipes. Blue oyster mushrooms are best eaten when they are fresh, but they can also be dried or frozen for later use.

One thing to keep in mind when growing blue oyster mushrooms is that they are sensitive to light. They prefer to grow in the dark, so it’s important to keep your kit in a dark place or cover it with a cloth. You’ll also want to be careful not to overwater your kit, as this can lead to mold growth.

Scroll to Top